From Associated Press comes this tale of a German man who risked death rather than acquiesce to restrictive customs rules.
The 64-year-old man was switching planes on his way home to Dresden from a holiday in Egypt. He fell victim to new airport which rules prohibit passengers from carrying larger quantities of liquid onto planes within the EU, and he was told at a security check he would have to either throw out the bottle of vodka or pay a fee to have his carry-on bag checked as cargo.
Unimpressed with either choice, he decided on a third option. He chugged down the entire bottle there and then with inevitable results - he was soon unable to stand or otherwise function. A doctor determined he had possibly life-threatening alcohol poisoning, and packed him off to hospital. The unnamed man is expected to be released in a few days.
A herculean effort in the ongoing fight against the Nanny State.