Thursday, August 23, 2007

famous last words

# Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something.
Francisco ("Pancho") Villa

# I'll be in Hell before you start breakfast!
"Black Jack" Ketchum, notorious train robber

# Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies.
Voltaire (attributed), when asked by a priest to renounce Satan

# Get these fucking nuns away from me.
Norman Douglas

# Don't worry...it's not loaded...
Terry Kath, rock musician in the band Chicago Transit Authority as he put the gun he was cleaning to his head and pulled the trigger.

# Is someone hurt?
Robert F. Kennedy, to his wife directly after he was shot and seconds before he fell into a coma.

# Die, my dear? Why that's the last thing I'll do!
Groucho Marx

# Go on, get out! Last words are for fools who haven't said enough!
Karl Marx, asked by his housekeeper what his last words were

# I have a terrific headache.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who died of a massive cerebral hemorrhage

# I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring.
Richard Feynman

# Drink to me!
Pablo Picasso

# I have not told half of what I saw.
Marco Polo, Venetian traveller and writer

# Since the day of my birth, my death began its walk. It is walking towards me, without hurrying.
Jean Cocteau

# Dammit... Don't you dare ask God to help me.
Joan Crawford. This comment was directed towards her housekeeper who began to pray aloud.

# Lord help my poor soul
Edgar Allan Poe

# Thank God. I'm tired of being the funniest person in the room.
Del Close, improvisor, teacher and comedian, died 1999

# I have tried so hard to do right.
Grover Cleveland, US President, died 1908

# I don't have the passion anymore, and so remember, it's better to burn out than to fade away. Peace, Love, Empathy. Kurt Cobain.
Kurt Cobain (in his suicide note), Lead singer for American grunge band Nirvana, referencing a song by Neil Young.

# In keeping with Channel 40's policy of bringing you the latest in blood and guts and in living color, you are going to see another first -- attempted suicide.
30-year-old anchorwoman Christine Chubbuck, who, on July 15, 1974, during technical difficulties during a broadcast, said these words on-air before producing a revolver and shooting herself in the head. She was pronounced dead in hospital fourteen hours later.

# It's very beautiful over there.
Thomas Edison

# Now why did I do that?
General William Erskine, after he jumped from a window in Lisbon, Portugal in 1813.

# Don't worry, relax!
Rajiv Gandhi, Indian Prime Minister, to his security staff minutes before being killed by a suicide bomber attack.

# No! I didn't come here to make a speech. I came here to die.
Crawford Goldsby, aka Cherokee Bill, when asked if he had anything to say before he was hanged.

# I really need a therapist'
Christopher Grace, an actor who killed himself during a matinee performance of Greece

# I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, you are only going to kill a man.
Che Guevara

# I'm tired of fighting.
Harry Houdini

# I see black light.
Victor Hugo

# LSD, 100 kilograms I.M.
Aldous Huxley To his wife. She obliged and he was injected twice before his death.

# Let me go to the Father's house
Pope John Paul II

# I'm bored with it all.
Winston Churchill, before slipping into a coma and dying nine days later.

# I know not what tomorrow will bring.
Fernando Pessoa, Portuguese poet

# Jesus, I love you. Jesus, I love you.
Mother Teresa

# Don't disturb my circles!
Archimedes

# I hope the exit is joyful and hope never to return.
Frida Kahlo

# Dear World, I am leaving you because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool - good luck. (suicide note)
George Sanders, Actor

# They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
General John Sedgwick, Union Commander in the U.S. Civil War, who was hit by sniper fire a few minutes after saying it

# Dying is easy, comedy is hard.
George Bernard Shaw

# I'm losing.
Frank Sinatra

# Crito, I owe a cock to Asclepius. Will you remember to pay the debt?
Socrates

# My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go.
Oscar Wilde

No comments: